Thread: Wireless in 8.04 with Netgear WG311T

Beans

Wireless in 8.04 with Netgear WG311T

Yes, another person with wireless issues. I can't get my computer to even see my wireless card, and last night when I was on 7.10 upgrading to 8.04, the wireless was working fine. I've spent the last hour looking through these forums trying to find something to help, but nothing has worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wireless in 8.04 with Netgear WG311T

Please try using the script in this thread to install madwifi drivers--as I recall, the WG311T should have an Atheros chipset and this should do the trick on 8.04 (FYI: on 8.10 this card should work out-of-the-box).

If after running that script without errors and rebooting you still don't have wireless, please post the output of these commands:
    Code:
    uname -m
    lspci -nn
    lshw -C Network
    sudo iwlist scan
    dmesg | grep -e ath -e wlan

Beans

When I try running the make command to install madwifi, it gives me Error 2, and when I try the make install command, it gives me Error 1. Help?

Or could you explain how I could update it to 8.10 without that computer having internet access, that would probably be a lot easier to do and much less frustrating.
    Last edited by Ningen; December 23rd, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you download the alternate CD for 8.10 (not the regular CD), I believe there's an upgrade option available.

If that doesn't work or you prefer to stick with 8.04, I can give instructions for installing the driver offline. Please let me know. It would also be good to see the output of 'lspci -nn' just to verify that you indeed have an Atheros wireless card.

Beans

I remember from before that it is an Atheros card. I just didn't know ahead of time that it wouldn't work on 8.04. I just finished downloading and burning the 8.10 Live CD, so I'm going to go try that now. Thanks for your help.