Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: graphics no longer working after yesterdays update - desktop VM

Beans

Re: graphics no longer working after yesterdays update - desktop VM

Yesterday's update also broke my VM. I'm running a Noble arm64 VM under VMware Fusion 13.5 on an Apple Silicon Mac. When using the vmwgfx (VMware SVGA 3d) driver and enabling 3D support for the VM, the entire GNOME/Wayland graphical environment becomes unusable. The display doesn't refresh properly. As I move the mouse pointer, blocks of the display automatically refresh. This sounds like the "messed up screen" that Doug S. is seeing.

I didn't have to resort to going back to X11. Staying with Wayland and disabling 3D support allows the VM to work properly.

This is a major regression from Mantic, which works fine with the same VM configuraiton. I can't tell if this is GNOME 46 or Mesa related, but to me this is a showstopper for Noble.

Beans

I just started fresh and reinstalled my VM from today's daily arm64 Desktop ISO. Things are working for me again as well.
    Keeping fingers crossed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I updated the same VM that Wayland was broken yesterday. Libc6 packages where updated today (so the Glibc libraries...)

Wayland works and the Ubuntu Desktop came up for me in Wayland. Must have been a chicken-before-the-egg progression order of phased updates problem. LOL.

All good here. (Now.)

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to all that chimed in on this thread. If I understand correctly, while others had issues that may or may not have been the same, most are now resolved. Interesting. My issue remains and is annoying, but at least I have a work around, and actually I only really need SSH access to the VM to be able to do what is needed for help.ubuntu.com update publications.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Amusingly I had to do the opposite on my VirtualBox VM. With vmsvga driver and 3D acceleration off, everything works fine in Ubuntu 22.04, upon upgrade to 24.04 it seems that Wayland sessions fire up but Xorg ones crash back to login prompt (and, if you only have an Xorg login manager like lightdm, with no gdm3 for Wayland usage, I assume you'd get no graphical login either.) But if turn 3D acceleration on in VirtualBox display settings, no problem, 24.04 goes right to the desktop environment I'd selected.

I assume this is some problem with vmsvga driver in particular, after it worked on that VM, I had a couple old Core 2 Duos I threw Ubuntu 22.04 onto and I had them upgrade to 24.04, it works fine on them.

I decided to throw Steam on one. Why not? It does have a 250GB HDD for some games; no I did not find some old games and attempt to run them; the Gallium drivers are amazing and something as old as a Sandy Bridge played even some low-requirement DX11 games at a playable framerate; but, the GPU in this is even older, slower, and less featureful than that for 3D, I used GPUs like this "back in the day", even for some retrogaming type purpose the 3D performance of them was not considered good even 15-20 years ago when they were new. But the 2D and video scaling on these GPUs is perfectly serviceable. I ran remote steam play off my desktop, it said it was getting 58FPS and sub 10ms pings. The laptop was like a $2000 system when it was new, so it has a very nice 1080 screen, nice keyboard, very nice speakers, nice chassis (other than being heavy). The power use is brutal though, it has a hardware MPEG-2 decoder but really, who uses MPEG-2? The dual core CPU is a tad faster than a Celeron N and is just fast enough to decode 1080 H.264/H.265 video but it's sucking down like 30-50W doing it. Under light load the battery will last like 3+ hours, but it gets about like 30-40 minutes tops browsing playing videos, etc. It's so big and thick the fan blows hot air off some direction and the chassis and keyboard do not even warm up, so just run it plugged in. I'm donating it to a friend of mine, who has a nice gaming laptop they've cracked the screen on.
    Last edited by hwertz10; March 25th, 2024 at 06:34 AM.

Beans

Same thing here - moved from a Nvidia to new 7000 series AMD card recently and was interested to try Wayland. Have been running 22.04 but Wayland wasn't working for me on that. So I upgraded to 24.04 today and see that Wayland crashes back to gdm with some cryptic messages like "Connection to xwayland lost" and nothing else in the logs looking like an error.

Is there a way to get a log from the core wayland process to see what is going on?

Beans
    Distro

My issue was fixed with some recent updates. I set the bug report to "Fix Released".
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12