Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CUPS disappears

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: CUPS disappears

Further information:

I am running CUPS 1.4.1-5ubuntu2.1 .

Browsing through my startup logs I found that the cups server was not found, but the printer was recognized by the USB system.

I installed the (not previously installed) HPLIP packages (HPLIP, HPLIP-GUI, HPLIP-docs, etc.) using synaptic. http://localhost:631 then became available, and the printer was recognized.

After a system reboot the CUPS server again is not found, and, again, no printing and no access to http://localhost:631 .

Trying "system >> preferences >> default printer" raises a dialog box with the error message "CUPS schedler is not running".
    _________

Am I mis-interpreting this? Is the true problem that CUPS server is quitting and not restarting?

My 9.04 printed reliably and this old LaserJet 5p has always been super reliable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

After more (all night) poking around I have determined that CUPS is not "disappearing" but is not restarting after rebooting. I can restart Cups with the terminal command
    "sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart". I will add that line as a startup script.

I feel there should be a real solution for this problem not just a work-around.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I too had problems with my HP printer when upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10. I was going to add a startup script but choose another way; install sys-rc-conf and configure CUPS from there:

sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf

Then run:

sudo sysv-rc-conf

There will be a list of services running with a "X" if it runs a a particular time during startup. Scroll down until you find "cups". Mine was checked under columns 2,3,4,& 5. Now go under the "S" column (Startup Column) and hit your space bar to put a X there. Now hit "q" on your keyboard to exit sysv-rc-conf. Restart your system. This worked perfect on my system. Hope it helps you guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That does seem to work. Thank you very much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have had exactly the same problem with cups, and also boinc and virtualbox daemons not starting on boot.

sysv-rc-conf has fixed it for now.

Has anybody submitted a bug report about this yet? I can't find one on Launchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have the same problem now on my Karmic box (clean install 64-bit). This was not a problem before, only recently, so it might be related to a recent update.
    I totally agree with the OP that this is outrageous. There should be a proper fix.

EDIT:
    I don't know why the OP marked this one as solved, and in my case I can not seem to be able to start CUPS manually!!!!? I get the following
    Code:
    ~$ sudo /etc/init.d/cups force-reload
     * Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                          [fail]
    Any idea how to fix this? I have a Samsung printer that used to work perfectly on the same computer since Feisty.
    Last edited by PC_load_letter; December 23rd, 2009 at 11:40 AM.

Beans

Ugh.. HAS to be something fairly recent.. I spent 2 days trying to figure out why my OO Writer wouldn't open Templates anymore.. or they took 2 minutes, anyway... Yeah, it was CUPS! I got all the way done with tcpdump'ing (because I thought it was a network issue.. Templates opened just fine with NO network connection up). The only other service was CUPS... but I didn't notice it before, because it was not running (I can't believe I haven't printed anything since before 12-18-09).. neither is ssh.. what the hell happened with UPSTART?

I changed the
    Code:
    Listen localhost:631
    to
    Code:
    Listen *:631
    in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file and was able to start cups. I still see the errors about the .hplip directory being in the /var/spool/cups/tmp folder.. but I can actually go into my System,Administration,Printers again!... Oh.. and my freakin' OO Templates open in 5 seconds again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12