Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor that Microsoft is buying Canonical and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Rumor that Microsoft is buying Canonical and Ubuntu

I'm aware that Google has its own selfish motives for embracing Linux. My point was that bringing up Google and Android as a comparison point for discussing a theoretical scenario where Microsoft buys out Canonical is irrelevant. Even if we bring up a long list of at least questionable things Google has done (which isn't that hard to do), it still won't deal with the Linux community the same way that many Linux users' list of grievances against Microsoft will.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Not every Linux user has a passionate hate for Microsoft, though. Believe it or not, some people use Linux because they like Linux, not because they hate Microsoft. I'm not saying I want Microsoft to buy Canonical, by any means. But I honestly wouldn't want Google to, either. People were ticked when they shoehorned Amazon search into Ubuntu to raise money. If Google bought it, Ubuntu would be completely plastered with ads.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mystics View Post
    I'm aware that Google has its own selfish motives for embracing Linux. My point was that bringing up Google and Android as a comparison point for discussing a theoretical scenario where Microsoft buys out Canonical is irrelevant. Even if we bring up a long list of at least questionable things Google has done (which isn't that hard to do), it still won't deal with the Linux community the same way that many Linux users' list of grievances against Microsoft will.
    My point was that quite a few Linux fans don't mind a Linux-based OS being owned by a Big predatory corp on the mobile (which they all use without any problem), than why not on the desktop with say, Canonical Ubuntu and the Redmond Firm? I can only assume there is some old-fashioned bias at play here, which is more ideological than pragmatical.
    Last edited by night_sky2; October 19th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.

Beans

Nobody here says that Google is motivated by altruism. But the fact remains that it is lives on the same FOSS ecology and open standards. I am glad that it is google rather than MS that dominates the web or open standards would be much more marginalised (for a long time IE is the only browser that doesn't respect the common standard)

Google's involvement with FOSS has worked out pretty well for the community overall. Same cannot be said of MS which has a long history of screwing with open standards, FUD against FOSS and Linux in particular, patent trolling, blackmailing, embrace & extinct etc. MS may want to take advantage of Linux and FOSS in areas where it is not the dominant player, but it is no "friend". Ultimately "MicroSoft solutions" are an alien and hostile ecology for FOSS, it basic model of profits is still locking down and locking in (not like Google)

You can drink without poisoning the well for others, MS always poisons the well, google doesn't because it lives on the same well.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 19th, 2015 at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Not every Linux user has a passionate hate for Microsoft, though. Believe it or not, some people use Linux because they like Linux, not because they hate Microsoft.
    I know. It's just that, despite knowing that a lot of people are more here for love of Linux than hate of Microsoft, quite a good chunk of people here clearly hate Microsoft. How many people do we have coming in that say they came to Linux specifically because they hated Microsoft? How many comments do we get where people find "creative", unflattering names for Microsoft (e.g. Microslop) and their products (e.g. Vista 10)?

I'm not saying that everyone here hates Microsoft. But there are a lot of people that do.

Quote Originally Posted by night_sky2 View Post
    My point was that quite a few Linux fans don't mind a Linux-based OS being owned by a Big predatory corp on the mobile (which they all use without any problem), than why not on the desktop with say, Canonical Ubuntu and the Redmond Firm? I can only assume there is some old-fashioned bias at play here, which is more ideological than pragmatical.
    But at least from what I've seen and read, it appears some people put Microsoft on a whole new plane of "evil" in terms of corporations. At the very least, I don't see quite the same level of hatred thrown Google's way as I do Microsoft's, at least from the people who show any level of hatred towards one or both companies.

And yeah, a lot of it is ideology, but that doesn't mean a whole lot negatively to people holding to that ideology.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by night_sky2 View Post
    I can only assume there is some old-fashioned bias at play here, which is more ideological than pragmatical.
    You don't have to assume. There is, "some old-fashioned bias at play here".

FLOSS, Open-Source, which ever licenses you prefer, is what Linux is built upon. It is what continues to allow and drive the development of Linux, (BSD ... on and on). Trying to monetize it with patent laws, that Microsoft would most certainly employ with purchasing Ubuntu, would not allow it to function in the FLOSS eco-system. The Open-Source developers would go somewhere where they could continue to pursue their passions. And, many end-users using Ubuntu wouldn't be happy with being involved with it either and go where they too, can be part of Open-Source.

It isn't only old-fashioned. It's the present reality of Linux. Make no mistake. It has always been and remains today, very pragmatic.

And yeah, a lot of it is ideology, but that doesn't mean a whole lot negatively to people holding to that ideology.
    Yep.

Many people involved with FLOSS, have very strong altruistic bents, that is only partly witnessed in their involvement with FLOSS. Those passions often are, not derived from FLOSS where as, their involvement with it is but, a display of their decided upon, belief systems.
    Last edited by mikodo; October 20th, 2015 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote

Beans

Microsoft has never done me or anyone I know any harm & I'd expect never will.
    As far as Ubuntu & a Desktop Os - they'll never monetize it except thru an app store that will not be the so called FOSS
    Even then it won't amount to much, it's more useful for name recognition & as a testbed, the values of which seems to be in decline.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mas_Agung View Post
    i just had been know about that rumor
    Rumour being the operative word, FUD more accurate and descriptive, though.

Beans

The day Microsoft "buys" Ubuntu is the day I uninstall and install Linux.
    Microsoft was good.. (when I didn't know any different!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

But at least from what I've seen and read, it appears some people put Microsoft on a whole new plane of "evil" in terms of corporations. At the very least, I don't see quite the same level of hatred thrown Google's way as I do Microsoft's, at least from the people who show any level of hatred towards one or both companies.

I don't think Google has the long history of dirty tricks and just plain trying (and usually succeeding) to destroy their erstwhile friends that Microsoft has. And perverting standards like they did with I.E. and OOXML. Microsoft has been perceived with good reason to be untrustworthy. They appear to be making an effort to "play nice". Lets hope, but it's going to take longer than 2 weeks or 2 months of "the kinder gentler Microsoft" for people to begin to trust them.
    Last edited by kurt18947; October 22nd, 2015 at 12:42 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast